Saturday, October 2, 2010

LABELS

Fact: Lydia.com has an entire set of labeling lessons for Autocad software.
Ok so some time ago I was interested in learning a design software and my grandfather, who is a mechanical engineer advised me to start with autocad since it is commonly used and apparently easy to learn. I went to Lydia.com to download some tutorials and there there was “autocad for beginners”, for intermediate users… and there was this set called labeling in Autocad…
Well let me talk about the importance of labeling then.. Have you ever looked at a art product and said what the hell is that??! The answer for most of the time would be simply `art`. I envy the artists for they can do whatever they want and simply explain nothing. It is personal and open to different interpretations. An engineer’s nightmare would be the word “interpretation”. We don’t want our work interpreted, we want it to be fully understood the way we created it. So my point is even if we think we created a masterpiece, it is nothing unless we can tell our audience what really is in that masterpiece.
Couple of word son how we label our stuff: One mistake could be getting too specific with the vocabulary. I support the fact that engineers should pay special attention to the jargon used in their field but that doesn’t mean people should show off with that instead of being nice and simple. Also it is important to know the things to label. An engineer should be able to see the essence of his work and label accordingly and efficiently. Nobody wants to see a paper with too many writings on it. Labels can be really efficient and helpful in understanding a work, but they can cause the exact opposite effect as well.
p.s. it just came to my realization that even this writing has a label. That would be the title of it. Titles seem to be the most commonly used labels,, or are they labels?? I have to think about it.


3 comments:

  1. Good call about being too specific with labels. It really is important to adjust your labels to fit your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have indeed looked at art and thought to myself, "what the hell is this?". Also, I agree that it is important to label things to help others and ourselves understand things better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! I like your comments regarding how you have to relabel stuff to fit your audience.

    ReplyDelete