As a Turkish student I heard some faculty members who teach here. I am an ECE major so one of the members I wanted to meet was Prof. Erhan Kudeki. There was an ECE mentoring session and I first saw him there. Now that I knew what he looked like, I realized the only thing I had to do was to go talk to him.
I went into the Everitt Lab and found his office. I knocked the door and it was locked. I knocked a couple of times more just in case then a lady opened the door. I told her I wanted to see Prof Kudeki she asked me if I had any appointment I said no then he came up and I introduced myself saying I am a student from Turkey and I simply wanted to introduce myself.
He was very friendly and invited me to his office. We talked generally about Turkey, Illinois and engineering in Illinois. I asked him about the undergraduate research projects and he mentioned me PURE program. That was very helpful and in fact and information I didn’t receive from anyone else then.
The interesting thing happened 1 week after that. I received an email from Prof Kudeki introducing me the other Turkish students in ECE department. Apparently there was a student who wanted to initiate a Turkish Student Association. If I didn’t introduce myself to Prof Kudeki I wouldn’t hear about that.
This incident proved the importance of networking and taking initiative. I was wondering why those two terms were discussed one after the other in the reading assignment but now I understand that building a network demands initiative. I am happy that the person I contacted helped me expand my network. Now I know more people who would contact me but this also brings responsibility because now those people have expectations from me since they hear my name from Prof Kudeki.
Onur!
ReplyDeleteDude, it's great to see your networking bearing fruit. N' your story really hit home with me, 'cause I can't tell you how many times something little like talking to a professor or simply mentioning something to a friend has really paid off in the end and turned into something amazing.
If I may ask, what's your impression on being here in Illinois? I guess I don't know too much about your background, but I'm curious to hear how Urbana Champaign compares to other places you've lived.
That's awesome! Networking in action. What is PURE? Are you thinking of doing a Turkish Student Association?
ReplyDeleteNice dude! Turkish Student Association?! That sounds awesome that you met up with other people ,especially in the same major, from Turkey as well. Hopefully you can become good friends with the Professors and others.
ReplyDelete